Online auction is scorching the virtual world. More and more people are finding the virtual world a convenient way to sell as well as purchase goods. Many of them use online auction sites such as eBay to get their product’s worth.
Auction sites such as eBay also house a myriad of products and it is very easy for one’s product to get lost in the crowd. One can follow certain tips that will aid in effective selling
1) Familiarize yourself with the site: It is important to familiarize yourself with the site. You can just navigate within the site to get a feel of it. Visit the site’s help section. They have a special space dedicated to sellers- http://pages.eBay.in/help/sell/index.html. This will not only give you the confidence to go ahead but will also make you aware of the pitfalls and the dangers as well as the things you are supposed to do and things you are supposed to avoid.
2) Pay attention to the appearance: Appearance matters. Imagine yourself in the shoes of the buyer. This will give you a better idea of how things should be done. The appearance of the text should be neat. Select fonts that are normally seen on a website. Try not to select fancy fonts. Try to highlight important matters and points in a tasteful manner. Remember the appearance can make or break your sale. No one would buy an item that is presented in a shabby manner. An untidy appearance also creates a negative impression of the seller.
3) Title: eBay requires the seller to give a title and a short description of the product. Be sure that the language used is simple and free from grammatical mistakes. One should bear in mind that eBay attracts all kinds of visitors. Hence the description should be such that it is understandable to everybody. Similarly, the title should be short, yet informative. A reader should be able to make out about the item after reading the title.
4) Picture: ‘Picture speaks a thousand words’ is an oft-repeated phrase. Be sure to include a descriptive picture. A picture lets the prospective buyer to get a feel of the product. The buyer gets a good idea about the item that is being offered for sale. Imagine a wall unit being offered for sale, but there is no picture of it. Will you prefer buying it? Most of us will say ‘No!’ Remember to get a nice picture of the item that you wish to get listed on eBay. The picture should be clean, focused and taken in lighted conditions. Hazy, unfocussed and dimly lit pictures are a strict no.
5) Show it, don’t tell: If you are selling used items; make sure that you give a good description about the condition of the product. Do not use ambiguous sentences such as ‘almost new’, ‘a bit damaged’ etc. If it is damaged a bit, then tell it in concrete sentences. For e.g., scratches on the rear part, scrapped from the left corner etc. This will give the prospective buyer an idea of the extent of the damage. It will also increase his confidence in you and will help you to sell the product more effectively.
6) Be clear about the accessories: If the product you are selling comes with certain accessories, make sure that you mention whether you are offering the accessories or not. Do not keep the buyer in the dark. Doing so will give a bad name to you. For e.g., if a certain mobile phone offers accessory like head set when purchased from a seller, and if you are selling the same model as a second – hand, be sure to mention whether or not you are offering the head set. This is a great way to arouse buyer confidence that will go a long way in selling the product. Furthermore if the product you are selling does not include accessories, then try to add some to it. People are always willing to pay a bit more for added value. For e.g. if you are selling a chess board then adding a chess board stand can dramatically increase your profits and chances of selling. Its all about staying ahead of your competition and this technique alone can really help you to beat all the competition out there.
7) Be specific: Include details such as guarantee policy, return and exchange policy, shipping details, in straight and clear terms. The prospective buyer should not have any confusion. Remember that eBay has a system wherein buyers leave a feedback. A positive feedback will help you to sell other products effectively on eBay.
8) Time the listings: eBay requires the sellers to list the timings for the opening and the closing of the bid. One must be careful of the timing of the listings. It is no use if you time the listings such that the target market is not awake. For e.g. if you the target buyers for your product are located in USA, one must time in such a way that the maximum number of Americans are on the Internet during that time. Also remember, most of the bids are placed on the last day and more importantly at the last hour. Keep this factor in mind before deciding upon the timings or else you will lose out on good or high bidders. There have been many studies and a lot of research has been done in determining the best timings for your listing. Whatever you decide just make sure that you end up your listing during busy hour which normally is between 7:00pm to 11:00pm
9) Flexibility in receiving payment: Make sure that you have specified your preferable mode of receiving the payment. eBay offers a lot of options. Be flexible. If you keep on insisting on PayPal, you might lose a highest bidder who can make payment only through a check or money order. Keeping your options open will certainly help you maximize your profits.
10) Be agile: Be quick and agile while delivering the goods. Since the buyers can leave a feedback, a laxity shown by you in the final stages can hurt your credibility and might force the buyer to give a negative feedback. Also pack the item carefully. Nobody is going to accept a damaged product. It will be a waste of the buyer’s as well as your time and efforts. Do remember that someone who has purchased from you in the past and had a great buying experience is more than likely to purchase from you again, therefore providing a timely delivery and a well packaged product would most definitely result in many repetitive customers.
These are some of the main points you should keep in mind if you have to carry out a successful sale on eBay and maximize your profits.