Objective: Distinguish the general statement in the given paragraph.
Directions: Read and analyze each paragraph to distinguish the general statement. Write the general statement of each paragraph.
1. Major earthquakes in populated areas can cause huge destruction. Buildings collapse, roads and bridges buckle and crack, and electrical and gas lines break and cause fires. If the earthquake happens in the ocean, it makes a series of huge ocean waves called a tsunami. The
tsunami travels until it finally reaches land, where it causes large flooding.
2. Equality and freedom have both been identified as important characteristics of democracy since ancient times. These principles are reflected in all citizens being equal before the law and having equal access to legislative processes. For example, in a representative democracy, every vote has equal weight, no unreasonable restrictions can apply to anyone seeking to become a representative, and the freedom of its citizens is secured by legitimized rights and liberties which are generally protected by a constitution.
3. People should recycle more because it could benefit the environment and humans too. It
canus by preventing landfills being created, prevent pollution, and conserve resources.
People could live a longer lifespan, lead a healthy life, easily recover from illness, and can
prevent other health problems in the future. But that can only happen if we have a good
environment and cleaner air. However, there are landfills that cause pollution from rotting non-biodegradable products that sit there for centuries and emit harmful gases into the air.
4. Excessive use of smartphone paired with negative attitude and feeling of anxiety and dependency on gadgets may increase the risk of anxiety and depression (Rosen et al., 2013, Thomée et al., 2011). Jones (2014) conducted a survey about Elon Students’ behavior along with an online survey and found out that students seemed to be addicted to their mobile phones. Nevertheless, it was concluded that the excessive smartphone use had a psychological effect.
5. Weathering and erosion are very slow processes. Geologists believe the Colorado River has been flowing through the Grand Canyon for at least 17 million years, and it has been gradually shaping the canyon this entire time. The flowing water of the river and its tributaries has carved away the rock of the Colorado Plateau, creating the sight we are enjoying today.
This Objective: Distinguish the general statement in the given paragraph. Directions: Read and analyze each paragraph to distinguish the general